My research work is situated at the intersections of health equity, social determinants of health, environmental justice and community development - with a focus on understanding the lived experiences of people who face social barriers to health and well-being. I have worked at several research institutions including Public Health Ontario, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE), the Wellesley Institute, Centre for Urban Health Solutions at St. Michael's Hospital.
- Lomax. S., Cafaro, C.L., Hassen, N., Whitlow, C., Magid, K. and Jaffe, G. (2022) Centering Mental Health in Society: A Human Rights Approach to Well-Being for All. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry. Available at https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2022-49860-001
- Lemieux, C., Groulx, M.W., Buxton, R. T., Blye, C.J., Reining, C. E., Hassen, N. et al. (2022). The ‘Healthy Parks -Healthy People’ Movement in Canada: Progress, Challenges, and An Emerging Knowledge-Action Agenda. PARKS The International Journal of Protected Areas and Conservation. Available at https://parksjournal.com/parks-28-1-may-2022/
- Hapsari, A.P., Ho, J.W. Meaney, C., Avery, L., Hassen, N., Jetha, A., Lay, M.A., Rotondi, M., Zuberi, D. & Pinto, A., (2022). The working conditions for personal support workers in the Greater Toronto Area during the COVID-19 pandemic: a mixed-methods study. Canadian Journal of Public Health. Available at https://link.springer.com/article/10.17269/s41997-022-00643-7
- Hassen, N. (2021). Leveraging Built Environment Interventions to Equitably Promote Health During and After COVID-19 in Toronto, Canada. Health Promotion International, daab128. Available at https://academic.oup.com/heapro/advance-article/doi/10.1093/heapro/daab128/6356324
- Hassen, N., Lofters, A., Michael, S., Mall, A., Pinto, A. and Rackal, J. (2021). Implementing Anti-Racism Interventions in Healthcare Settings: A Scoping Review. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18(6). Free access at https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/18/6/2993/htm
- Pinto, A., Hassen, N. & Craig-Neil, A. (2018). Employment interventions for patients in health care settings: A systematic review and synthesis. Annals of Family Medicine, 16(5), 447-460.
- Hassen, N, Tyler, I & Manson, H. (2017) Influence of revised public health standards on health equity action: a qualitative study in Ontario, Canada. International Journal of Equity in Health, 16:187-198
- Hassen, N & Kaufman, P. (2016). Examining the role of urban street design in enhancing community engagement: A literature review. Health & Place, 41, 119-132.
Selected Reports + Papers
- Hassen, N. (December, 2016). The Influence of Green Space on Mental Health: A Scoping Review of Reviews. Wellesley Institute. Available from http://www.wellesleyinstitute.com/publications/the-influence-of-green-space-on-mental-health-well-being/
- Hassen, N. (December, 2016). Green Paths to Mental Health: Theoretical Framework. Wellesley Institute. Available from http://www.wellesleyinstitute.com/publications/green-paths-to-mental-health-theoretical-framework/
- Hassen, N. (December, 2016). Green Paths to Mental Health: Understanding How Neighbourhood Income Influences the Effects of Green Space on Mental Health. Wellesley Institute. Available from http://www.wellesleyinstitute.com/publications/understanding-how-neighbourhood-income-influences-the-effects-of-green-space-on-mental-health/
- Sanchez, J., Cheff, R., Hassen, N. & Katakia, D. (2016, August 5). Pathways to Health for New Permanent Residents in the Three-Month Wait. Wellesley Institute. Available from http://www.wellesleyinstitute.com/publications/pathways-to-health-for-new-permanent-residents-in-the-three-month-wait/
- Sanchez, J., Cheff, R., Hassen, N. & Katakia, D. (2016, July 20). Part One: Examining the Health Status & Health Care Experiences of New Permanent Residents in the Three-Month OHIP Wait: A Scoping Review of the Peer-Reviewed Literature. Wellesley Institute. Available from http://www.wellesleyinstitute.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Examining-Health-in-the-Three-Month-Wait-Part-One.pdf
- Sanchez, J., Cheff, R., Hassen, N. & Katakia, D. (2016, July 20). Part Two: Examining the Health Status & Experiences of New Permanent Residents in the Three-Month Wait for OHIP Scoping Review of the Grey Literature. Wellesley Institute. Available from http://www.wellesleyinstitute.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Examining-Health-in-the-Three-Month-Wait-Part-Two.pdf
- Tyler, I. & Hassen, N. (2015, Sept 15). Priority populations project: understanding and identifying priority populations for public health in Ontario. Ontario Agency for Health Protection and Promotion (Public Health Ontario) Toronto, ON: Queen's Printer for Ontario; 2015. Available at https://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/eRepository/Priority_Populations_Technical_Report.pdf
- Hassen, N. & D’Souza, D. (May, 2017). Building the economic resiliency of communities: Exploring the acceptability and feasibility of establishing a timebank in St. James Town. Community Report. Low-Income Families Together (LIFT) and the Upstream Lab, Centre for Urban Health Solutions, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St. Michael’s Hospital.
- Hassen, N. (December, 2016).Green Paths to Mental Health Walk Lab Report. Wellesley Institute (in collaboration with Building Roads Together and Jane's Walk). Available from http://www.wellesleyinstitute.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Green-Paths-to-Mental-Health-Walk-Lab.pdf
- Tenneti, A., Hassen, N., Scott, J.L., and Ponnudurai, R. (2022, Sept 21). Leading Diversity and Equity in Parks: A Field Guide. Panel Presentation at the Park People Canada Conference.
- Hassen, N. and Flicker, S., (2022, May 19). Racialized realities in greenspaces: Exploring the connections between public greenspace, race and mental health equity in two neighbourhoods in Toronto, Canada. Roundtable presentation at the International Union for Health Promotion and Education (IUHPE) Conference.
- Hassen, N. (2021, February 21). "Improving social connections in our communities through the built environment." Keynote delivered at Fit Cities Fit Towns Canada Conference. Housing for Health, University of Alberta.
- Hassen, N. (2020, November 25). Deepening the conservation conversation: Exploring the connection between biodiversity, wellbeing and inclusion. Park People Webinar Series: 7 Questions: The Future of Parks and Public Spaces.
- Hassen, N., (2020, October 8). Park Prescriptions: Examining the Link between Urban Green Space and Mental Health and Well-being. Paper presentation at Coming
Together for Action Conference, Global Alliance for Behavioural Health and Social Justice. (virtual conference)
- Hassen, N., Knights, C., Lofters, A. & Rackal, J. (2020, October 7). Addressing Racism in Healthcare: Strategies and Lessons Learned from an Anti-Racism Initiative in Toronto,
Canada. Paper presentation at Coming Together for Action Conference, Global Alliance for Behavioural Health and Social Justice. (virtual conference)
- Hassen, N. (2019, May 2). Examining the link between urban green spaces and mental health: A scoping review and theoretical framework. Oral presentation delivered at
Healthy Parks, Healthy People Forum, Canadian Public Health Association (CPHA) Conference in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Hassen, N., Workentin, A., Michael, S., Mall, A., Pinto, A., Lofters, A. & Rackal, J. (2019, May 1). Anti-racism interventions in healthcare settings: A scoping review. Oral
presentation delivered at Public Health 2019, Canadian Public Health Association (CPHA) Conference in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Hassen, N. & Pinto, A. (2017, May 31). Employment Interventions in Health Care Settings: A Systematic Review. Oral Presentation delivered at 2017 Trillium Primary
Health Care Research Day.
- Manson, H., Tyler, I & Hassen, N. (2016, April 7). Action on Priority Populations. Oral
presentation delivered at The Ontario Public Health Convention (TOPHC), Post - TOPHC Workshop.
- Tyler, I. & Hassen, N. (2015, May 26). Priority Populations Project: A Proportionate Approach. Oral presentation delivered at Public Health 2015, Canadian Public Health
Association (CPHA) Conference in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- Examining the Role of Street Design in Creating Healthy and Engaging Communities. Presentation at Public Health 2015, Canadian Public Health Association (CPHA) Conference (2015, May 26).
- From Policymaker to Practitioner: Identifying Priority Populations in Ontario, Canada. Poster presentation at the Association of Schools of Public Health in the European Region (ASPHER) Young Researcher’s Forum (2014, Nov 19).
- Addressing the Social Determinants of Mental Health: A Consumer's Perspective. Presentation at the Canadian Collaborative Mental Health Care Conference. (2014, June 20).
- Removing Tokenism: Meaningful Youth Involvement in an HIV and AIDS Support and Awareness Focused Organization that Teaches, Facilitates and Nurtures Youth Voice - Building a Sustainable Model. Poster presented at the XIX International AIDS Conference (AIDS2012). (2012, July 25).