CBC Radio Metro Morning.In the studio, speaking to Jane Hawtin about keeping the momentum going to address HIV/AIDS globally and harnessing the passion, knowledge and creativity of youth to push positive social change.
OCIC Global Changemaker Campaign. A print and online campaign to highlight the contributions of young people to international cooperation. I focus on creating positive change in social justice issues that affect the health of children & youth worldwide.
Positive Lite Interview. I speak to Bob Leahy about HIV/AIDS as a global public health issue and one that is within our communities in Canada.
Rogers Television Daytime Toronto. I got to speak to Val Cole about the critical role that young people play in the international cooperation arena, among other things. HIV/AIDS is a global health issue, meaning it is right here in Canada as well. There are many social and biological issues associated with HIV/AIDS, and understanding the complexity is essential.
UrbanMoms Interview. About my children’s book Dancing in the Rain, the inspiration behind it, how it was published and the key messages I hope readers take away from it.
The Weekly Voice. I’m very glad the Global Changemaker story got picked up in Canada’s largest South Asian newspaper. I am Sri Lankan- Canadian and there are many young South Asians doing some really meaningful work.
Ceylon Today. A newspaper in Sri Lanka got in touch with me about my school and career path, my thoughts on the role of volunteering and my work around HIV/AIDS.
Posters & Presentations
- Examining the Role of Street Design in Creating Healthy and Engaging Communities. Presentation at Public Health 2015, Canadian Public Health Association (CPHA) Conference (2015, May 26).
- From Policymaker to Practitioner: Identifying Priority Populations in Ontario, Canada. Poster presentation at the Association of Schools of Public Health in the European Region (ASPHER) Young Researcher’s Forum (2014, Nov 19).
- Addressing the Social Determinants of Mental Health: A Consumer’s Perspective. Presentation at the Canadian Collaborative Mental Health Care Conference. (2014, June 20).
Presentation at Youth Research Symposium on Youth, Sexuality and Reproductive Justice. Gendering Adolescent AIDS Prevention (GAAP). (2013, March 28).
Poster presented at 4th Research and Practice Day at Dalla Lana School of Public Health. (2012, November 9).
- Our Collective Youth Voices Against HIV/AIDS. Presentation at 2013 Worlds AIDS Day Commemoration Event. (2013, November 27).
- Asphalt Park: A toolkit of health promoting design interventions for communities to temporarily repurpose their urban space.
Poster presented at Healthy Cities and Communities Symposium. (2013, October 24).
Poster presented at 5th Research and Practice Day at Dalla Lana School of Public Health. (2013, November 22). Won Award for Best Poster.
- Applying to Graduate School. Presented at New College, University of Toronto. (2013, January 24).
- Removing Tokenism: Meaningful Youth Involvement in an HIV and AIDS Support and Awareness Focused Organization that Teaches, Facilitates and Nurtures Youth Voice – Building a Sustainable Model. Poster presented at the XIX International AIDS Conference (AIDS2012). (2012, July 25).
- Getting Involved In Your Community. Presentation given at Leadership Certificate Ceremony, New College, University of Toronto. (2011, April 20).
Projects & Publications
- The Queer Muslim Conundrum. Guest Post, Positive Lite Magazine (2015, July 2).
- Children’s book. Dancing in the Rain. Bloomington, IN: Xlibris.
- Reflections of a Citizenship Project: Children and Challenges. The Window, University of Toronto, p.3. (2011, February 14).
Current & Previous organizations:
Low Income Families Together (LIFT) – www.lift.to
Public Health Ontario – www.publichealthontario.ca
Dispatches International – www.dinews.org
Africa’s Children-Africa’s Future (AC-AF) - www.ac-af.com
Broadview Community Youth Group (BCYG) (now Kaleidoscope Kids) - beakaleidoscopekid.com
Gilda’s Club Greater Toronto - www.gildasclubtoronto.org
Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CCFF) Great Strides Walk Events - www.cysticfibrosis.ca
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Toronto (BBBST) - www.bbbst.com
Student Aid and Learning Opportunities (SALO) - salotutoring.com
Habitat for Humanity (U of T Chapter) - www.habitat.ca
A little more about me – about.me/nadhassen