My research work is situated at the intersections of health equity, social determinants of health, environmental justice and community development - with a focus on understanding the lived experiences of people who face social barriers to health and well-being. I have worked at several research institutions including Public Health Ontario, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE), the Wellesley Institute, Centre for Urban Health Solutions at St. Michael's Hospital.
- Pinto, A., Hassen, N. & Craig-Neil, A. (2018). Employment interventions for patients in health care settings: A systematic review and synthesis. Annals of Family Medicine, 16(5), 447-460.
- Hassen, N, Tyler, I & Manson, H. (2017) Influence of revised public health standards on health equity action: a qualitative study in Ontario, Canada. International Journal of Equity in Health, 16:187-198
- Hassen, N & Kaufman, P. (2016). Examining the role of urban street design in enhancing community engagement: A literature review. Health & Place, 41, 119-132.
Selected Reports + Papers
- Hassen, N. (December, 2016). The Influence of Green Space on Mental Health: A Scoping Review of Reviews. Wellesley Institute. Available from http://www.wellesleyinstitute.com/publications/the-influence-of-green-space-on-mental-health-well-being/
- Hassen, N. (December, 2016). Green Paths to Mental Health: Theoretical Framework. Wellesley Institute. Available from http://www.wellesleyinstitute.com/publications/green-paths-to-mental-health-theoretical-framework/
- Hassen, N. (December, 2016). Green Paths to Mental Health: Understanding How Neighbourhood Income Influences the Effects of Green Space on Mental Health. Wellesley Institute. Available from http://www.wellesleyinstitute.com/publications/understanding-how-neighbourhood-income-influences-the-effects-of-green-space-on-mental-health/
- Sanchez, J., Cheff, R., Hassen, N. & Katakia, D. (2016, August 5). Pathways to Health for New Permanent Residents in the Three-Month Wait. Wellesley Institute. Available from http://www.wellesleyinstitute.com/publications/pathways-to-health-for-new-permanent-residents-in-the-three-month-wait/
- Sanchez, J., Cheff, R., Hassen, N. & Katakia, D. (2016, July 20). Part One: Examining the Health Status & Health Care Experiences of New Permanent Residents in the Three-Month OHIP Wait: A Scoping Review of the Peer-Reviewed Literature. Wellesley Institute. Available from http://www.wellesleyinstitute.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Examining-Health-in-the-Three-Month-Wait-Part-One.pdf
- Sanchez, J., Cheff, R., Hassen, N. & Katakia, D. (2016, July 20). Part Two: Examining the Health Status & Experiences of New Permanent Residents in the Three-Month Wait for OHIP Scoping Review of the Grey Literature. Wellesley Institute. Available from http://www.wellesleyinstitute.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Examining-Health-in-the-Three-Month-Wait-Part-Two.pdf
- Tyler, I. & Hassen, N. (2015, Sept 15). Priority populations project: understanding and identifying priority populations for public health in Ontario. Ontario Agency for Health Protection and Promotion (Public Health Ontario) Toronto, ON: Queen's Printer for Ontario; 2015. Available at https://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/eRepository/Priority_Populations_Technical_Report.pdf
- Hassen, N. & D’Souza, D. (May, 2017). Building the economic resiliency of communities: Exploring the acceptability and feasibility of establishing a timebank in St. James Town. Community Report. Low-Income Families Together (LIFT) and the Upstream Lab, Centre for Urban Health Solutions, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St. Michael’s Hospital.
- Hassen, N. (December, 2016).Green Paths to Mental Health Walk Lab Report. Wellesley Institute (in collaboration with Building Roads Together and Jane's Walk). Available from http://www.wellesleyinstitute.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Green-Paths-to-Mental-Health-Walk-Lab.pdf
- Examining the Role of Street Design in Creating Healthy and Engaging Communities. Presentation at Public Health 2015, Canadian Public Health Association (CPHA) Conference (2015, May 26).
- From Policymaker to Practitioner: Identifying Priority Populations in Ontario, Canada. Poster presentation at the Association of Schools of Public Health in the European Region (ASPHER) Young Researcher’s Forum (2014, Nov 19).
- Addressing the Social Determinants of Mental Health: A Consumer's Perspective. Presentation at the Canadian Collaborative Mental Health Care Conference. (2014, June 20).
- Removing Tokenism: Meaningful Youth Involvement in an HIV and AIDS Support and Awareness Focused Organization that Teaches, Facilitates and Nurtures Youth Voice - Building a Sustainable Model. Poster presented at the XIX International AIDS Conference (AIDS2012). (2012, July 25).